Or, why I’m not a pessimist.
There is a lot of doom and gloom on the Interwebs these days but I’m not feeling it. I think it’s based on faulty premises and wrong conclusions.
Yes, the economy sucks.
Yes, our elected morons in charge seem to be stupid and clueless.
And yes, the Mexicans are invading. (oh noes!)
But you know what? The country has been through worse.
People claim that politicians have never been so corrupt. HAH! Politicians have always been corrupt and always will be. There will always be self serving, corrupt politicians. It’s just the nature of people who want to be in charge.
People are worried about creeping socialism, but sooner or later socialism always fails. To make it work even temporarily you have to murder millions of people to scare the rest into going along with it and unlike the Russian serfs and Chinese peasants, people in the US just won’t stand for that.
People are worried that nationalized health care can’t be repealed. (If it’s ever implemented in the first place, not a sure bet at all) But we’ve repealed laws before, even some dumb Constitutional Amendments.
When I was a kid people were sure we’d all die in a nuclear war. It wasn’t a question of if, just when. It seemed like the end of the world was just around the corner. Guess what? It didn’t happen.
“Smart” people are always predicting the end of the world. Environmental disaster is just around the corner and can only be averted by putting them in charge and living in mud huts. But the disasters never seem to materialize.
But let’s get specific. There are some things going on that make me think that times aren’t going to get as bad as everyone seems to think.
1. The Liberals have shot their wad. They did too much, too soon and now they’re going to pay the political price. Republicans are out polling Democrats all over the country. I am a big believer in divided government. Government is best when it does the least and they do a lot less when they’re fighting amongst themselves.
2. People that voted for Obama are having regrets. In a few years you may not find anyone willing to admit they voted for him. This is a “fool me once” situation. The hard core left won’t care but “middle America” will think twice before electing another America hating empty suit.
2. As I mentioned before, socialism always fails. We can see the writing on the wall here in the US. The days of big government really are over because there isn’t enough money in the whole world to keep it going. You can’t run a government on wishes, someone has to pay the bills.
3. The Communist long march through the institutions has been wildly successful. Just in time for those institutions to become completely irrelevant. Traditional big media is dying. Public schools have failed. Colleges are overpriced wastes of time and money. You can make the argument, in fact, that the communist/socialist/progressive/liberal take over of these institutions has caused their downfall. Or maybe it’s just that the Internet has allowed people to bypass the thought leaders and gatekeepers.
4. Two Supreme Court cases, Heller and McDonald, have put civil rights back on track in the US. The US is unique in the world in recognizing gun ownership and self defense as a civil right. People learned two very hard lessons over the last 50 years: The police can not protect you and criminals don’t obey the law. (I know, shock!) After the Assault Weapons Ban expired millions of people bought “Evil Black Rifles“. The AR pattern rifle is immensely popular and now that so many are out there not causing rivers of blood in the streets, the fear mongering of the gun banners is exposed. The same will happen as more people carry guns for self defense and don’t go crazy with wild west shootouts after every traffic accident. The mainstreaming of guns in the US is well underway.
There will always be natural and man made disasters. There will always be stupid people doing stupid things and smart people doing extraordinarily stupid things. There will be times of prosperity and times of hardship. That’s just how life is.
Don’t let it get you down.